Subscribe in a reader

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Product Reveiw - Pedipaws Pet Nail Trimmer vs. Dremel

PediPaws Pet Nail TrimmerI received not long ago the Pedipaws Pet Nail Trimmer as a gift from a family member, for our two dogs. The late night infomercials had been convincing! It appears to be a Dremel type tool that can safely grind down your pets nails, without having to worry about cutting too close to the quick. I always cut our pets nails with traditional scissor style pet clippers, but our two black labs have black nails. As anyone who has cut black pet nails knows, its almost impossible to tell where the quick is. It seemed the Pedipaws Pet Nail Trimmer had come up with the perfect solution! I was sure the plastic nail guard would keep my pet's nails safe, and it seemed the high powered sander would make quick work of my dog's nails.

As it seems, this particular infomercial was deceiving. After opening the box and inserting the batteries, I was pleasantly surprised at the quietness of the device. I could hardly hear it running and thought this was going to be a breeze, I knew my dogs would not be afraid of such a small sound, and I was right. Unfortunately, this was the last feature of the Pedipaws Trimmer that I would be pleased with.

When I attempted to use the trimmer on my dog's nails, I found that two of it's best features are flawed. I have always used scissor style nail trimmers, because I've found that it's always difficult to get my dog's nails into a guillotine style nail trimmer. The Pedipaws saftey guard proved to have the same issue. If I was able to get the dog's nail into the guard at all, I wasn't able to keep it there.

The Pedipaws trimmer uses sandpaper instead of stone like a traditional Dremel. After just a few seconds my dog's nail began to tear the sandpaper, and I'm not even sure if the paper was a coarse enough grade to make any headway on the nail at all. It did come with another finer grade head for detail work, but I didn't even attempt that, as the first head was already destroyed by my dog's nail.

 If I wanted to use a Dremel style trimmer for my pet's nails, I would definitely opt for the brand name Dremel. It's got the motor power to get the job done, and the heads are quality material that won't be damaged within a few second's of using it. It might be a little louder, but that's only because it has a motor that can actually do the job. It is slightly more expensive, but the Dremel name guarantees you'll get what you pay for. Dremel 7300-PT 4.8-Volt Pet Grooming Kit

At the end of the day, I always go back to my scissor style nail trimmers. They are simple, durable, and easy to use. They get the job done, with little inconvenience to you or your pet. They won't break, and they always have the power to get the through the nail.

Trimming your pets's nails can be a daunting task for some, and many groomers offer a nail trimming service for around five dollars, if you truly feel uncomfortable doing it yourself. If you do choose to do it yourself, the simplest solution is usually the best. I'd stay away from the fancy items that seem too good to be true, and stick with the tried and true. This will help keep you and your pet truly happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment